Monday, January 28, 2013

Meet Kristi, Kristi's Killing It

I grew up on the beautiful North Shore of Long Island in Oyster Bay Cove. I attended a Blue Ribbon public middle school known particularly for it's competitive sports teams and over achieving attitude.  To describe the student body as sophisticated would be too kind.  Most were dripping with vanity and fit perfectly into the Jewish American Princess (JAP) stereotype the Syosset, Woodbury area of Long Island so often was guilty of.  So for High School I followed in my sister's foot steps and transferred to a more humble setting where the sports were just as competitive and the class rooms were still sophisticated, just a lot more personal which better suited my personality.  LuHi was one of the best four years of my life.  I created life long bonds with friends that shaped and molded the person I am today.  After my time as a big fish in a little pond expired, I chose to stay on Long Island and commute for college.  This decision allowed me to go to school full time, and work full time at my parents flower shop in Hicksville.  We later sold that family business and took on Hollywood Tans Franchises as our next business venture.  After graduating Hofstra, I took a year off from school for "self exploration" as so many people my age refer to their indecisiveness.  However after a year of 50+ hour work weeks I knew I wasn't done learning about the world of communication.  I also knew the void I was searching to fill would only come by allowing myself to fully itch  the scratch for independence I had only brushed the surface of.  Unafraid of what raw flesh might feel like, I took out as many student loans as I could possibly get my hands on in order to afford Fordham University's Masters Program in Public Communications.  After a semester of commuting to the Bronx where Fordham's beautiful Rose Hill Campus is located, I knew in order to get the full experience I was searching for, I had to move out of my parents comfortable home in Fort Salonga, Suffolk L.I.  It's been a little over a year now that I've been living in a two bedroom apartment in Astoria, working full time and going to school full time.  It takes a lot of hard work and patience to wear all the hats that I do but I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment